Friday, May 30, 2008

aaaaaa....ok, good luck with that.....

Some people go to the Caribbean, some go on a cruse, some relax at home(all are fine options mind you), but for my vacation I’m riding my bicycle over 500 miles from New York City to Toronto Canada!

Why Toronto? Well that’s the location of this years Cycle Messenger World Championships. I mean what better way to get to a cycling event then to ride there, sure I might be too beat to actually compete once I get there, but the travel there will be half the fun, and as long as I can get to Toronto safely it’s a win win!

I’ve done two bike tours in the past. Last year I did a ride from San Louis Obispo, CA to San Francisco (~300 miles, picture on left), and about two years ago I did a ride from Boston to NYC (little over 200 miles). This will be my first Solo unsupported tour, meaning that I’ll be carrying everything I need, or buying it along the way.

Some people probably think that it's a bad idea that I'm doing this ride alone, maybe they have thoughts of masked murderous on the side of the road waiting to get me, or me being ran off the road by a crazed driver, and I’m not saying this isn’t possible, but I think I’ll be alright, hey if anything happens I’ll have my health insurance card on me, but hopefully I won’t need it, because I’ll be in Canada at the time where health services are free! ;) Ok seriously, I'll be fine, if you can ride your bike in the chaotic streets of Manhattan, or the speedway drivers in Staten Island you can ride mostly anywhere. Yeah shit happens, but that’s where my health card and band aids come into play ;)

The bike: I’ll be riding my fixed gear bike, the Spicer.

The route: I planned my route with the help of Google maps and advice from other cyclist via mapmyrides.com. Basically I head north to Albany along route 9 then west to Buffalo on route 20 and then hug the cost of Lake Ontario up until I reach Toronto. This isn’t the most direct route but it’s simple, and will (cross fingers) keep me from getting loss or needing to look at my map often.

The plan: Leave NYC June 5th for an eight day ride to Toronto, where I’ll stay and enjoy the sights and festivities for five days, and then fly home. Ride early in the day, chill out at the hotel/hostel at night with stops for food and drinks in between. To keep to my schedule I plan to ride rain or shine.

This ride is going to be an adventure!

No comments: